In the spirit of Valentines Day, I thought it only appropriate to post a recipe to ignite your passion! This delectable ‘nothing naughty rocky road’ can be whipped up in a jiffy, so why not treat yourself or fellow cupid and enjoy the indlugence without the guilt!
- Rich in anti – oxidants and magnesium – thanks to the high cocoa content dark chocolate
- Dairy & gluten free
- Low in sugar – just 5 gms per 20 gm serve = low GI
- High in natural plant proteins – care of the raw nuts
- High in essential fatty acids ( good fat )- supplied by the unrefined coconut oil
What You’ll Need…
- 300gms of 85% quality dark chocolate – you can use less or more, depending on the size of your slice / cake tin
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 6 fresh, loosely chopped dates or a 1/2 – 3/4 cup of chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup goji berries – you can add more if desired
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 3 cups of chopped raw unsalted organic mixed nuts – brazil, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pistachio’s – organic, pesticide free nuts preferable
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp mixed spice, cinnamon or nutmeg
How To Make…
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil over low heat in a small saucepan, while stirring
- Add all mixed nuts and dried figs or dates or goji berries and coconut flakes to a large bowl and combine with hands
- Alternativley you may add the nuts to a food processor and pulse until losely chopped.
- Grease a cake or slice tin with approximatley 1 – 2 tea spoons of coconut oil and then line with grease proof paper
- Add all dry ingredients – nuts, dates, goji berries / dried figs, coconut flakes and mixed spice or cinnamon, to the tin and spread evenly over base of pan
- Pour melted dark chocolate and coconut oil mix over nut mix to coat evenly
- Place in fridge to set and then remove when hard and cut into small squares or fingers approx 5 x 3cm
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Enjoy a slice of coconut rocky road with a cup of fresh herbal tea – eg: green tea, fresh ginger & lemon grass, peppermint or chai with almond or rice….yum!
© All Rights Reserved Sally Joseph 2013