It seems sugar is on everyone’s lips lately so I have created this recipe in honor of making you feel like you’re still allowed a few spoils, because going off the white stuff does not mean you have to go without any treats! In fact when you try these babies, you will never be able to tell they are sugar free. Best of all they are high in protein, antioxidants and essential minerals like magnesium and healthy fats to leave your skin glowing and your tummy’s satisfied!
Perfect for an afternoon pick me up or to nip those sugar cravings in the bud!
GF Gluten Free, SF Sugar Free, Diabetic Friendly, DF Dairy free, V – Vegan, Low GI, HP High protein
What you’ll need…
The exact measurements are fairly loose so feel free to add or subtract, but just ensure they are moist enough to roll into little balls!
- ½ cup organic cashews
- ½ cup organic almonds
- ½ cup organic macadamia or walnuts
- ½ cup organic pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup organic sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ½ cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup Vital Greens powder
- 4-5 fresh dates finely chopped or 1/2 cup rice malt syrup (optional – I find the Vital Greens powder adds enough sweetness)
- 1-2 heaped tablespoons organic cacoa powder
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of organic tahini
- 1/2 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil ( add more if your recipe is too dry)
- 1/2 cup organic cacoa nibs
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes toasted
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut, chia or sesame seeds to roll the balls in
How to make…
- Add all the nuts, goji berries, sunflower and pumpkin and chia seeds, dates (if using) to food processor and blend until finely chopped –try to avoid blending too finely to meal consistency
- Transfer mix to a large bowl and add the rice malt syrup, tahini, coconut oil, cacoa powder and nibs and coconut flakes and mix the ingredients with your hands until well combined. If mix is too dry or crumbly to form into balls, add more coconut oil until it is moist enough to stick together.
- Take around a desert spoon size scoop of the mix and roll into balls – about the size of a 20- 50 cent coin.
- Add desiccated coconut, chia or sesame seeds to a plate and roll the balls until well coated
- Serve 1-2 bellissimo balls with a cup of your favourite herbal or chai tea.
© All Rights Reserved Sally Joseph 2013